Residential garage door openers are an essential component for every modern garage. They make your life easier and enhance security. If you’re in the market for a new garage door opener, here are four steps to help you compare and choose the right type for your needs.
1. Drive Type
The drive type is one of the first things to consider when choosing a garage door opener. Most openers share a similar design—a motor that powers a trolley or carriage along a track. The main difference is how the motor moves the trolley along the track.
The most common garage door drive types are:
Chain drive garage door openers are the most affordable option and typically the most popular. The thick, bicycle-like metal chain is attached to a motorized pulley system that lifts and lowers the garage door. This typically causes some rattling and vibration as the door opens and closes.
Belt drives are much quieter and smoother and are another great option. They have a steel-reinforced rubber belt and a quiet DC motor, allowing the opener to operate quietly and smoothly.
This style is a space-saving, low-maintenance, extremely quiet option. The direct drive garage door opener has a stationary chain with a single moving part—the motor—that moves along the track, raising or lowering the door.
Horsepower is very important when choosing a residential garage door opener. The garage door needs enough power to lift and lower your garage efficiently, but too much horsepower is unnecessary and energy inefficient.
To determine the amount of horsepower your garage door will need, follow these guidelines:
- ⅓ horsepower: up to 150 pounds (for one-car garages and lightweight steel garage doors)
- ½ horsepower: up to 350 pounds (for one-car garages and most double garage doors)
- ¾ horsepower: up to 600 pounds (for larger, heavier double-car garage doors and doors wider than 14 feet)
- 1 to 1 ½ horsepower: over 750 pounds (for oversized and industrial doors)
3. Special Features of Residential Garage Door Openers
Residential garage door openers often have special features that enhance their security, functionality, and convenience.
Popular features to look for include:
- Smart garage door openers allow you to monitor and control your garage door from your phone by connecting to Wi-Fi.
- A keypad control—typically attached to the exterior of your home—that allows you to open and close your garage door using a 4 to 6-digit code.
- Automatic lights that turn on when the garage door opens, making it easier and safer to navigate.
- A battery backup that ensures your garage door works during a power outage.
4. Brand and Price
Finally, it’s important to consider a reputable brand with good reviews, a strong warranty, and a reasonable price. Price can vary widely depending on the features and the brand, so know your budget going into the process and stick to those parameters.
Our most popular and top garage door opener brands that deliver quality and durability are:
Choose From Our Expertly Picked Residential Garage Door Openers
With the click of a button, you’re on your way to replacing your existing garage door opener or installing one in your new home. Use these steps to select one that provides convenience and security for your home by checking its drive type, horsepower, special features, price, and brand.
At Central Oregon Garage Door, we provide opener and controller sales, installation, and repair. Contact us at 541.593.5700 to request an estimate or schedule an installation.